|Gregor Joseph Werner|| |
Der Gute Hirt Oratorio (1739)
Lóránt Najbauer (Bass), Peter Barany (Counter-Tenor), Agnes Kovacs (Soprano), Zoltan Megyesi (Tenor), Adriána Kalafszky (Soprano)
Plea for Werner
The Esterházy Music Collection at ACCENT is dedicated to musical treasures of the Hungarian magnate family that have been unjustly forgotten. This time the focus is on the Passion Oratorio Der gute Hirt (The Good Shepherd) by Gregor Joseph Werner, first performed in 1739. Serving the Esterházys from 1728 to 1766 as the court Kapellmeister, Werner made a significant contribution to the musical life of the musical establishment influenced by Vienna. Typical traditions are expressed in the use of trombone and chalumeau. Györgyi Vashegyi and his musical powers succeed in an all-round convincing plea for the hitherto neglected composer, who was more than just Haydn’s predecessor.